Saturday, May 10, 2014

Adveristy what is it to you?

Adversity, what does it mean to you?

Webster’s definition is: a difficult situation or condition: misfortune or tragedy.

This is a great definition, however; adversity could mean different things to different people. Without adversity, one could say, could potentially make a person less resilient.

I believe everyone has some type of struggle they are going through.  Some are big, some are small, but all are just as important.  They are important because they allow us to grow as a person.  If we must go through such hardships, is it not better to learn and grow from them?  So I ask you, what is something that you struggle with?  What would you consider to be your adversity?

I ask you as you sit and read to, think of your struggles, I would like to tell you a bit about one of mine. From the age of 10 months I have suffered from a seizure disorder commonly known as Epilepsy.   A seizure is a sudden disruption of the brain’s normal electrical activity followed by altered consciousness and/or other neurological and behavioral manifestations. Epilepsy is a condition where seizures reoccur and can include (and did in my case) repetitive muscle jerking called convulsions.

I was not born with this condition but developed it from a childhood accident. When I was 10 months old I got a hold of a dry cleaning bag wrapped it round my face and suffocated. For an unknown amount of time I was not breathing. I was quickly rushed to the hospital and between that time and my arrival there I was revived however damage had been done and my brain began to swell. The doctors prepared my family for my death but as you can see death did not come. Instead God had other plans for and instead of death I developed Epilepsy.

I was put through many tests and medicated for my disorder. I had monthly check ups and routine exams. Throughout most of my childhood, I was unaware of my disorder. As I grew older and started remembering my seizures, I quickly became fearful of them.  The doctors told me what could trigger a seizure from environmental factors, stress, medication imbalance, hormonal changes and lack of sleep.  Basically, I was told to live in a bubble and play it safe.  Needless to say, year after year, I realized how much my seizure disorder took from me.

Sports of any sort were not encouraged due to possible injury to me or other players.  Certain amusement park rides were off limits due to strobe lights. Haunted houses, which I loved, were also off limits to me also due to strobe lights.  As I became a teenager and driving age approached, I found out that I couldn’t get my driver’s license. Imagine finding out what bit of freedom you thought you were going to have isn’t going to happen. I was told I had to go 3 years without a seizure before I could get my license and at that time my seizures where not controlled. I eventually got my license but I did have to give it back to the state of Oklahoma once as a result of having a seizure while driving.
Doctors warned about having children because my medication could be harmful to the baby as well as the hormonal issues, which would and did cause me to seize during both of my pregnancies.

I lived on the side of caution for all my wonder years and into my twenty’s. I had dreams, but due to my disorder, I thought they were unattainable.  I watched others grow and become something as I sat and watched and did nothing.  I was unfit and very unhappy when finally one day I decided I wanted to live. I mean really live. I was tired of the fear of my disorder. Tired of Epilepsy controlling what I thought I could or couldn’t do.  So I took charge, knowing very well what the risk could be. I slowly overcame my fears.  My “I can’t” turned to” I can” and “I will “and finally into” I did”

I went after what I thought was impossible.  I ran races, finished my first 5K in 2012 in under 30mins.  I placed in many races thereafter and then sought out my personal training certificate. It was there where I met someone who saw something in me that I, still to this day, could hardly believe.  He started me training for my first competition, which to my disbelief, I won, 3rd in my class!  I went on and have done 3 more shows and plan to compete again sometime in 2015. I first want to get my business up and running and make Fanci Fitness more than just me and my goals but you and your goals too. I want to help you overcome your adversity and go for your dreams. These are things I thought I would never in my life achieve yet here I am. My struggles and obstacles are not yet over. My seizures are under control for the most part.  I do have other medical complications due to my medication that is requiring me to undergo a medication change. I have been on the same medication for 19 years and coming off a medication and on new, leaves a lot of uncertainty and my seizures may or may not be fully controlled by the new medication. But it’s just another challenge that will make me that much stronger.

I sincerely hope my story brings to light that no matter what difficulties life may throw your way; you have the ability to RISE ABOVE any and all obstacles you may encounter.  With any problem there is always a solution.  It may be harder or may take longer but do not give up your dreams! They are worth it! So shoot for the stars and then beyond.


No comments:

Post a Comment